Monday 7 January 2013

An act of kindness by Jacinth Tan


Last Friday was a hot and humid day. The sun’s rays shone down on me brightly as I skipped happily to school. I was looking forward to the weekend for I would be going to a sleepover for the first time at my friend, Hui Ming’s house. As I was strolling, I heard a moaning sound. Following it, I entered an alley. Over there, I glimpsed a boy crouching near a ditch.

Curious, I went to find out what he was doing. As I inched closer, I noticed that his leg was stuck in the ditch. When his eye caught sight of me, he pleaded out for help. I dashed over and saw that his leg was stuck quite deep. Curious, I blurted, “How did your leg get stuck in the ditch anyway?” He explained that he was walking by the kerb when he slipped and his leg got stuck. While trying to get his leg out of the ditch, we chatted and soon became friends. Finally, after trying for half an hour, his leg emerged. Trying to walk, he ended up staggering instead. So I took off his shoe and saw that he had sprained his ankle.

Helping him up, I asked where he lived. With me supporting him, he told me where he lived and I helped him home. As I knocked on the door, an anxious mother hurried out and cried, “Jerry what happened to your leg?!” Helping him in, I explained what had happened to his mother. Jerry and his mother thanked me profusely. Happy that I had helped someone and made a new friend, I continued my journey to school. Yet I doubted that I would see Jerry again for I was sure he would soon forget me. When I arrived in school, I got reprimanded for being late and had to stay behind for detention.
After a long school day, Hui Ming took me to her house to prepare for the sleepover. As I was trotting along, I sensed familiar directions to her house. To my surprise, when she opened the door, I saw Jerry sitting on the sofa massaging his foot. Her brother! “What a coincidence!” I gasped.

When Jerry saw me he blushed, “Hey you’re the girl who helped me this morning!” Hui Ming looked at us with confused looks. Laughing, we explained to her what had happened. After that, we had lots of fun together during the sleepover. Later, we played games and scared one another with spooky stories. Soon, the three of us became the best of friends. After the sleepover, I skipped happily back home. I was glad I decided to help someone in need that Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment